A Computer Usage Policy is designed to prevent abuse of computer systems in all their forms, by presenting a set of well defined rules that must be adhered to. For example:
In order to keep a studious atmosphere within the computer labs, the following policies are to be followed by all residents:
- No loud noises or distractions allowed in the computer lab.
- No programs should be installed on the computer without the knowledge of the LTL or the CLRD.
- Cell phones and Pagers are prohibited in the computer lab, unless they are set to silent or vibrate, however residents myst leave the lab to answer their phones.
- Offensive language is prohibited. If a resident uses profanity, they will be asked to leave the computer lab.
- Offensive Media is prohibited. If a resident is found accessing offensive media, they will be asked to leave the computer lab
- Students are not allowed to print more than 15 pages, unless they are printing school material.
- The primary use for all computers is schoolwork. Schoolwork has priority over all other computer needs.
- All users must adhere to the university's Computer and Network Acceptable Use Policy.
- Solicitation in the computer labs is prohibited (all signs must be approved by the CLRDs before posting in the labs).
- Food and drink is prohibited at the computers.
- Users must not attempt to view or save innappropriate material such as pornography on the computers.
No loud noises or distractions are allowed in the computer lab. The lab is required to have a studious atmosphere, and distractions are prohibited.
Installation of Programs:
No programs should be installed without the knowledge of the LTL or the CLRD. Due to copyright laws, no programs that Housing does not have a license to should be installed on the computer. The LTL may approve software to be installed, however, they must remove it when the resident is finished.
Phones and Pagers:
Phones, cells, and pagers are prohibited from the computer labs. Residents are not allowed to bring their room phones down to the lab. They may have their cell phones and pagers set to vibrate or silent, however, they must leave the lab to answer their phone.
All offensive language and profanity is prohibited in the computer labs. If a resident uses offensive language, they will be asked to leave the computer lab.
There is a large amount of offensive material available from the Internet. (Offensive material is defined as material that will offend the majority of people who view the material) The most common type of offensive material is pornography. All forms of offensive material are prohibited in the Housing Computer Labs. This includes but is not limited to: pornography, graphic media (pictures video music), or anything of a questionable nature. If you are not sure if something could be considered offensive, it probably is offensive to someone. Please explain this to the resident. If they fail to comply, they will be removed from the computer lab.
Black and White Printing : All computer labs have a LaserJet Printer that prints in black and white. The printing on these printers is limited to 15 pages by the cost of supplying paper. Residents are allowed to bring their own paper and print out as much as they would like.
Color Printing : The Phaser Color printer in Lyon, however, is limited by the cost of color sticks. Since the supply given to the lab at the beginning of the semester is all that the lab will receive, the printing on the color printer is limited to 5 pages. No more than 40% of the page may have color on it. The printer is also limited for academic use only.
Each resident is allowed one guest to use the computer lab. The resident is responsible for all actions of the guest. The guest is expected to follow all lab rules and policies. If the guest prints out something, the page total is subtracted from the residents 15 page limit.
Schoolwork takes priority over all other computer usage. If the lab is full and someone that needs to do class work is waiting to use a computer. A user not doing school work must give up their station to the student who needs to do class work.
Computer and Network Acceptable Use Policy:
All users must adhere to the university's Computer and Network Acceptable Use Policy.
Solicitation in the computer labs is prohibited. All signs must be approved by the CLRD before they are placed in the computer lab.
nappropriate Content: Viewing and saving inappropriate content such as pornography on lab computers is strictly prohibited. Offending material will be deleted and offenders will be dealth with.